GST registration is a process by which businesses register themselves under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime. GST is a comprehensive indirect tax on the manufacture, sale, and consumption of goods and services throughout India, which has replaced various taxes like VAT, CST, excise duty, service tax, etc. GST registration is mandatory for businesses that meet certain criteria, and failure to register under GST can result in penalties and legal action.
The GST registration process involves providing various details about the business, such as the legal name of the business, the state where it is registered, the Permanent Account Number (PAN) of the business, and details of the promoters or owners of the business. The business is also required to provide details of the goods and services it deals in, and the turnover it generates. Once the application is submitted, it is verified by the GST authorities, and the GST registration certificate is issued.
Some of the key benefits of GST registration include the ability to claim input tax credit on purchases, the ability to sell goods or services across India without any restrictions, and the ability to compete on a level playing field with other businesses. However, businesses that are registered under GST are also required to comply with various GST regulations, including filing GST returns, maintaining detailed records of transactions, and paying GST on a timely basis.
Section 25 of the CGST Act 2017 outlines the procedure for GST registration. Here are the key provisions:
1. Any person who is required to register for GST must apply for registration within 30 days from the date on which he becomes liable to register.
2. The application for registration must be made online on the GST common portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre.
The following information and documents must be submitted with the application:
a. PAN of the applicant
b. Valid mobile number and email address of the applicant
c. Details of the business or profession, including the constitution of the taxpayer, the principal place of business, and the details of partners, directors, etc.
d. Bank account details
e. Details of authorized signatories
f. Photographs and proof of appointment of authorized signatories
g. Proof of business address
3. The application will be verified by the proper officer within three working days from the date of submission of the application.
4. If any further information or documents are required, the proper officer will issue a notice to the applicant within three working days from the date of submission of the application.
5. If the application is complete and satisfactory, the proper officer will approve the application within seven working days from the date of submission of the application.
6. If the application is not complete or is not satisfactory, the proper officer may reject the application and communicate the reasons for rejection to the applicant within seven working days from the date of submission of the application.
7. If the proper officer fails to take any action within the stipulated time frames, the application will be deemed to have been approved.
8. Once the application is approved, a GST registration certificate will be issued to the applicant.
9. The GST registration certificate must be prominently displayed at the principal place of business and at all additional places of business, if any.
Section 29(1) of the CGST Act, 2017 deals with the provisions related to the cancellation of registration under GST. Here are the key provisions:
1. A registered person may apply for the cancellation of their registration voluntarily, in the following circumstances:
a. The business has been discontinued or transferred to another person;
b. There is a change in the constitution of the business;
c. The taxable person is no longer liable to be registered under GST;
d. The registered person is a composition taxpayer and they no longer wish to continue as a composition taxpayer.
In-depth Audit Programme & Checklist for conducting GST Audit
LUT exports: Merchant Exporters moving to IGST paid exports?
Refund of GST Paid by Unregistered Person on Purchase of Flat/Units
What is the last date to reply Show Cause Notice under GST?