UMMID stands for "Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders". This is a program aimed at providing comprehensive care and management for individuals and families affected by inherited genetic disorders. The program aims to address the gap in the healthcare system for individuals with rare genetic disorders by providing them with multidisciplinary care and access to the latest medical technologies and treatments. The goal of UMMID is to provide early diagnosis, accurate genetic counseling, and personalized treatment options for individuals with inherited genetic disorders, with the ultimate aim of improving their quality of life and reducing the burden of these disorders on society. The program also seeks to enhance public awareness about genetic disorders and the importance of genetic testing and counseling.
The objective of the Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders (UMMID) initiative is to provide comprehensive, integrated and state-of-the-art diagnostic and management services for individuals with inherited genetic disorders. The key goals of UMMID are to:
1. Provide accurate and timely diagnosis of genetic disorders: The initiative aims to use cutting-edge genetic testing techniques to diagnose genetic disorders accurately and in a timely manner.
2. Create a centralized database: UMMID aims to create a centralized database of genetic disorders in India to improve knowledge about these conditions and to help in their early detection and management.
3. Improve access to care: UMMID aims to improve access to quality care for individuals with genetic disorders, especially those in remote and under-served areas.
4. Promote awareness and education: The initiative aims to raise awareness about genetic disorders and to educate healthcare providers and the general public about the importance of genetic testing and management of inherited disorders.
5. Enhance research and innovation: UMMID also aims to promote research and innovation in the field of genetic disorders and to develop new and improved methods of diagnosis and treatment.
Overall, the objective of UMMID is to improve the quality of life for individuals with inherited genetic disorders by providing timely and effective care and support.
The UMMID program comprises three medical care components that work closely with one another to promote the establishment and training of diagnostic services.
1. Fellowship in Genetic Diagnostics - Doctors working in government hospitals are offered hands-on training for a period of six months. Seven training centers located in eight departments will provide training in DNA-based diagnostic services for genetic disorders using state-of-the-art facilities. Each training center trains four fellows annually, resulting in 96 trained doctors in three years.
2. NIDAN Kendras (Diagnostic Centers) - Hospitals with adequate infrastructure, committed administrators, and interested doctors are selected and funded to establish genetic laboratories. The financial support and collaboration with Medical Genetics centers will help develop advanced facilities in molecular diagnostics.
3. Prevention of Genetic Disorders in Aspirational Districts - Each of the seven diagnostic centers adopts one aspirational district and establishes programs to prevent genetic disorders, such as beta-thalassemia and newborn screening for treatable disorders. The centers provide on-site training to district hospital doctors and raise awareness about genetic disorders among the general public. This program serves as a prototype for outreach programs to incorporate genetic services in child and maternal care and bring the latest genetic diagnostics to the population.
The following is the list of NIDAN Kendras under the UMMID program:
1. Lady Hardinge Medical College (LHMC), Delhi
2. All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Jodhpur
3. Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), Hyderabad
4. Nil Ratan Sircar (NRS) Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata
5. Whether slump sale will attract GST
GSTR-1 Json to Excel Conversion Tool
Under GST law, tax to be first charge on property except under IBC