GSTIN, known as GST Identification Number, is assigned to every GST registered person. Prior to the implementation of GST, each dealer registered under state VAT legislation was granted a unique TIN number by the individual state tax authorities. Similarly, the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs granted service providers a service tax registration number (CBIC).
All registered taxpayers are merged onto a single platform for compliance and administration reasons under the GST regime and are allocated registration under a single authority.
Every firm operating in a state or Union territory will be granted a one-of-a-kind Goods and Services Tax Identification Number, or GSTIN.
The GSTIN is formatted as follows:
1. According to the Indian Census 2011, the first two digits denote the state code. Each state has its own code. As an example,
a. The state code of Karnataka is 29
b. The state code of Delhi is 07
2. The next ten digits will be the PAN number of the taxpayer
3. The thirteenth digit will be assigned based on the number of registration within a state
4. The fourteenth digit will be taken by default
5. The last digit will be for the check code. It may be an alphabet or a number.
It is part of the GST Registration process. Once the application is approved by the GST officer, a unique GSTIN is allocated to the dealer.
There are two ways to register for GST:
a. via GST Online Portal or
b. via GST Seva Kendra set up by the Government of India
1. Valid Permanent Account Number (PAN)
2. Valid Indian Mobile Number
3. Place of Business
4. Valid e-mail address
5. Prescribed documents and information on all mandatory fields of Registration Application
6. Jurisdiction details
7. Valid bank account number from India
8. Indian Financial System Code (IFSC) number of same bank and branch
9. At least one Proprietor/Partner/Director/Trustee/Karta/Member with the corresponding PAN
10. An authorized signatory who is a resident of India with valid details, including PAN.
Obtaining GSTIN and registering for GST is free of cost.
GSTIN stands for Goods and Services Tax Identification Number. The Goods and Service Tax Network (or GSTN) is an organization that oversees the GST portal's whole IT infrastructure. The Government of India will utilize this site to track every financial activity and to give taxpayers all services from registration to submitting taxes and preserving all tax records.
Check Out: HSN code implication, GSTR-9, E-way bills.